Who Would You Want To Be Written By?

Here's a silly little question for you, if you choose to engage it. Setting aside all the B-movie connotations of this scenario, if you were to be a character written by a (real, existing) author, who would you want that author to be and why?


For me, it would be Sherwood Anderson. In fact, this question first crossed my mind a few months ago, when I was reading Winesburg, Ohio. I was struck by the delicacy with which everything was handled in it, by the essential kindness underlying the narrative, and I realized that I wouldn't mind if someone wrote about me like that. This would be the kind of narrator who understands. One and one's silly dreams would not come out aggrandized in that narrative, but not be ridiculed either. What more could one ask for?

Oddly enough, I wouldn't like to be a character written by either of my two favorite writers (James and Faulkner), and the only other author who comes close is the E.M Forster of Howards End, who I think could describe all my actions and thoughts in clever sentences that make so much sense. (But I've no use for the Forster of A Room with a View or Where Angels Fear to Tread.)

So, who would do you justice?


14 comments:

  1. I love this question.
    I think I'd like to be written by Ursula K LeGuin, because, like you said, she is kind. She's kind, and all of her characters end up being round and human, and most of the time things end up ok for them. Maybe she errs on the side of mysticism or of making her characters too good, but those are risks I'm willing to take. Did I mention that the writing is also beautiful?
    And of course I would love to be written by Joyce, who would make me the most real and most human person of all. He would depict my many many faults as readily as my strengths, but somehow people would still sympathize with me and maybe even love me. And somehow things would generally work out alright, despite any sadness. In the end I think Joyce is also kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. That's an awesome answer.

      2. I really, really need to read some Le Guin. I'm a ridiculous creature for not having done so before. Maybe I can make it into like a project in 2014.

      3. And yeah, Joyce is kind, in his own way. I do sort of dread the stream of consciousness, though.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, you seriously need to read some LeGuin. You could start with The Lathe of Heaven, which is super short and also quite lovely.

      Delete
  2. Jane Austen. I really like her distinct style and I feel like she would catch all the nuances and subtleties. And I wouldn't mind being made fun of a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering if anyone was going to say Austen. And you know, this "I wouldn't mind being made fun of a little" already says you'd be one of the good guys in Austen's world, not really at risk to be depicted like Mr. Collins or anything.

      Delete
  3. I love this! I'm going for Virginia Woolf: no matter if it's good or bad, the experience still seems beautiful somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I've been half-convinced you *were* written by Virginia Woolf from the first time I read your blog.

      Delete
    2. I forever heart you for that! :D

      Delete
  4. Love how the blog is looking! I think Murakami would create something pretty exciting, as would J.K. Rowling. This question will keep me busy!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice question!
    I think I'd love to be written by Victor Hugo, becase he would depitc with wonderful details and lyrical words my inner thoughts. Every struggle would suddenly become a stunning peace of prose.I think he could take the simplest things and turn them into something epic and incredible :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such an interesting answer (and justification) - I never would have thought of Hugo, but I can see it now, what his attraction would be. I heart all of you for replying and giving me so much food for thought.

      Delete
  6. Kate Aktinson. Always and forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, Kate Atkinson? That is a shocking development! :P

      Delete