In 2014 I Want To...

... read Tolstoy and Chekhov

O from Behold the Stars is hosting a Russian Literature Challenge. I will participate, but I'm not yet sure how many books I will read or what those books will be. I only know that I want to read Tolstoy and Chekhov. I will definitely read War and Peace next year (famous last words) and I thought I could perhaps try to read all of Tolstoy's major works. The last piece I read by him, years ago, was The Kreutzer Sonata. To say I hated it at the time would be an understatement - I despised it as I rarely despised anything in my life and it colored my view of its author ever since. It's time to read more and make up my mind. So 2014 might be the year I decide if I hate Tolstoy or not. Ah, the suspenseful life I lead.

http://beholdthestars.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/russian-literature-2014.html

As for Chekhov, all I know of him through cultural osmosis make him sound like someone whose works I'd enjoy reading. I confess part of it is that I've been a little obsessed with this beautiful passage from Katherine Mansfield's journal for a while now and it made me crave to read Chekhov.

“Ach, Tchekov! Why are you dead? Why can’t I talk to you in a big darkish room at late evening—where the light is green from the waving trees outside? I’d like to write a series of Heavens: that would be one.” 

... read Henry James 

Remember that time when I thought reading the complete works of Henry James will make all of my problems magically go away? I have decided that the only flaw in that plan was my lack of follow-through, so I will be returning to my Know Your James project in 2014. I also plan to read Leon Edel's five-volume biography of HJ. It is the best thing I bought this year and so far I've only read half of the first volume, because I'm awful.

The books ❤


... read Ursula K. Le Guin 

My general policy in life is to follow book recommendations from Emily. It's a good policy, I'm happy with it. It made me read Charlotte Perkins Gilman and Michal Ajvaz and my first book from Ursula K. Le Guin: The Lathe of Heaven (which I will review at some point in January). And since I liked The Lathe of Heaven quite a lot, my New Year's resolution is naturally to.... 

Read ALL the Le Guins!

...or at least as many of them as I can manage in a year. If you have any favorites, feel free to share them in the comments so that I know what to read first. (I don't think I'll be reading her backlist in chronological order. It seems a bit much to be doing that for two authors.)

... tell you all about it 

I haven't been very good at keeping track of my reading on the blog. I read some wonderful books this year that I didn't get around to reviewing: Winesburg, Ohio, The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter, Shirley, All Quiet on the Western Front, Native Son, The Golden Notebook. I will try to review some of these next year and try not to fall so far behind on my reviewing in general. It's not so much the sharing aspect of it that worries me - though I'm sure I missed a lot of great conversations by not discussing these books - as it is the fact that the posts I write are aids to memory (as Francis Bacon would call them) and boy, does my memory need them.

I think this is my last post for this year, so happy 2014! 



11 comments:

  1. I tried Portrait of a Lady and failed at finishing it, but loved What Maisie Knew :)

    Best of luck reading those great books, Claudia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elena. And don't give up on Henry James yet:)

      Delete
  2. I love this post! And I really hope you love Tolstoy rather than hate him ;) I'm planning to do some weekly War & Peace posts for January... if I get round to writing them hopefully they'll prove useful! All the best for 2014, Lucy at Tolstoy Therapy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I do know that feeling of wanting people to love your favorite writers (sadly, as the comments here show, poor Henry James rarely gets enough love). I will do my best with Tolstoy and try to give him a fair hearing. I do hope you'll find time to write about War & Peace in January. I don't know when I'll start reading The Book, but it would be fun to have your posts as companions. Hope you have a great 2014 as well :)

      Delete
  3. Hehe, I just ordered a very beautiful copy of War and Peace this morning - can't wait to start it in 2014! *cracks knuckles* I had quite a poor experience with Henry James this year (The Turn of the Screw just wasn't for me), so I'm hoping that the next book I read by him will turn this around! And also Ursula K. Le Guin is an author I would like to read too, I have a feeling that her type of fantasy could be very interesting.

    Here's to successful new reading year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey look, we're reading a lot of the same books next year. And you could definitely add some Le Guin to your TBR pile - The Lathe of Heaven was great (and quite short too - you can read it in one sitting). Since we're in similar places with Tolstoy and HJ, here's to authors redeeming themselves in 2014!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the recommendation on Le Guin - I will add this title to my book journal :)

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year! Great plans there :) War and Peace isn't so scary - I think I'll be re-reading it next year. Possibly. I *do* want to re-read Anne Karenina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, o! And thank you for organizing this challenge. I'm really looking forward to reading a ton of Russian literature this year.

      Delete
  5. I'm looking forward to trying more Tolstoy this year - I loved Anna Karenina so I have quite high hopes. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try War and Peace just yet though.

    I absolutely adore that Katherine Mansfield quote. Chekhov is a wonderful writer.

    Happy reading in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellie! And a happy new year to you as well :)

      Delete