A Bloomsday Read-Along

Emily from Song of My Shelf and Lori from The Coffee Girl are hosting a read-along of Ulysses. When I learned it was going to be very laid-back, I decided it was the thing for me. So I'm participating in The Great Bloomsday Read-Along. Here are my answers to the start-up questionnaire.

1. Introduce yourself.
Hi, I'm Irina, though I usually go by Iris around here. I'm a Physics Master's student whose favorite activities include reading, power-walking (not good for your knees, I know), and taking random naps (not good for your productivity, I know). My taste in books is erratic, and so is my reading schedule. 

2. Have you read Ulysses before? Any other Joyce? Any attempts?
I've read Dubliners and Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. Attempted Ulysses half-heartedly in high-school, and again with more enthusiasm last summer. I didn't get halfway through the book on any of these attempts. 

3. Are you feeling nauseous?
Does anyone even need to ask?

4. Why are you doing this?
I loved what I read of Ulysses last summer. Besides, I have the time for this now, I don't know when that will be the case again. I also want to participate in the blogging world more, and have some incentive to be more organized.

5. Are you planning to use any guides or resources?
I... haven't figured this out yet. 

6. Do you have a reading strategy? Are you sticking to a schedule
Whatever strategy I choose, it will turn into "over-worrying" and "posting at the last possible minute", so I decided to at least avoid worrying about a strategy. 

7. What are you most excited about?
A few beautiful turns of phrase I remember from my previous attempts, plus looking up and figuring out more of the philosophy references. Also, maybe I can get Claudia to make me a "I finished Ulysses" badge, if all goes well.

8. What are you most scared of?
Not having anything to say other than "I like this" or "I don't like this".

9. If this is your first time, what is your impression of the novel going into it?
I have the vague idea that I will enjoy it as a whole, no matter how difficult the process will be, or how many "I don't get any of this what is wrong with me stab me now" moments I will have. 

10. Have you read The Odyssey or seen O Brother, Where Art Thou? before?
I read The Odyssey, but that was quite a long time ago.

2 comments:

  1. How are you going with this? It's on my Classics Club list and I keep putting it off...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Brona!
    I was doing quite well with it until my e-reader died an untimely death a few days ago. I'll get myself back in the game soon, as I really enjoy the book. And, yes, I know what you mean, I kept putting it off for ages...

    ReplyDelete