Review: An Ideal Husband by Oscar Wilde

Claudia isn't the only one who's been an awful slacker lately. I clearly fall into that category as well, but like her I'm determined to ramp up my posting in our last month of A Victorian Celebration. I'm hoping to finish both Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights and Edith Wharton's Buccaneers (set, though not written, in the Victorian Period) in the next month. But first I need to wrap up some unfinished business: namely, reviewing An Ideal Husband, my first read for A Victorian Celebration and one that I quite enjoyed.

The Central Themes

Set in late 19th century London, An Ideal Husband centers around the dilemma of Sir Robert Chiltern, an esteemed member of the House of Commons who is forced to confront the unsavory details about the true origin of his fortune and his raise to political prominence. Chiltern, who is adored by his wife, Lady Chiltern, as--you guessed it!--an ideal husband and man of impeachable moral character, is blackmailed by the scheming Mrs. Cheveley, a social climber newly arrived in London.

As the play's action  unfolds, Chiltern turns to his close friend, the dandified (and utterly hilarious) Lord Goring, for guidance. Rounding out the cast are a number of genteel supporting characters, including Chiltern's archly witty sister, Mabel. At its heart, An Ideal Husband is a play centered on the themes of honor, the nature of love, forgiveness, and role of past transgressions in shaping a person's destiny. 

First (And Second) Impressions

An Ideal Husband is the first piece I've read by Oscar Wilde. I was especially excited to read Wilde, since his writing checks a lot of boxes of things I tend to adore in literature: Aristocratic Victorians! High-society intrigue! Sparkling dialogue! So imagine my disappointment when I started reading...and was initially very underwhelmed. In the first scene or two, the dialogue felt artificially forced and terribly grating, as if Wilde was more focused on cramming in as many flamboyantly clever comments as possible instead of developing, you know, an actual play. "This is Oscar Wilde?!?" I thought with a sinking heart. "This is so not what I expected!"

Turns out first impressions aren't always right, and that was definitely the case here. For as the plot unfolded in earnest, I began to utterly adore An Ideal Husband and found myself whipping through the pages, wildly curious about what would happen next and savoring every bit of dialogue. Wilde does an excellent job of exploring a number of serious themes throughout the play, while balancing it with a delightfully comic plot, full of hilarious misunderstandings and well-drawn characters. In particular, Lord Goring is a complete treasure--a thoughtful and loyal soul hides behind his foppish front as the "idlest man in London." Beyond his key role in negotiating the Chilterns' domestic drama, his flirtatious banter with Mabel is to die for. He's the heart and moral force of the play and he (and the play!) don't disappoint.   

A Taste of the Play

Oscar Wilde's legendary wit means there are no shortage of great quotes in An Ideal Husband. Here are a few of my favorites:  
All sins, except a sin against itself, Love should forgive. All lives, save loveless lives, true Love should pardon.

I am thoroughly sick of pearls. They make one look so plain, so good and so intellectual.

Even you are not rich enough, Sir Robert, to buy back your past. No man is.


The Bottom Line

I give An Ideal Husband 4 out of 5 stars. It was a breeze of a read--not just in terms of length but overall reading pleasure as well. Without giving too much away, the play's conclusion left a slightly sour taste in my mouth--let's say it definitely shows its age and its Victorian gender representations leave a few things to be desired. But, overall, it was a charming read, one I would absolutely recommend to anyone looking for a fun Victorian classic.


10 comments:

  1. Oh I love Oscar Wilde writing after I savouring The Picture of Dorian Gray. I like his wittiness and his paradoxes, and you're right, there are sooo.. many quotes that during reading I slipped a blank paper in the book to write them down. And it happened quite often :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Wittiness & paradoxes" is a great way to describe Oscar Wilde! So glad you enjoyed this one, Fanda. Love your observation about writing down all your favorite lines - I felt the same. There are just so many wonderful ones!

      Delete
  2. I have yet to read anything by Oscar Wilde. Thank you for your review. I especially love the quotes that you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like the quotes! Thanks for commenting, Steph. You're in for a treat if you pick up Oscar Wilde. He's very fun!

      Delete
  3. My first Oscar Wilde was The Importance of Being Earnest. I was so utterly in love with his writing when I finished reading it, that I rushed to the library and got myself a copy of The Major Works of Oscar Wilde. I read Lady Windemere's Fan, An Ideal Husband and The Picture of Dorian Gray, all fantastic works. My favourite still remains The Importance of Being Earnest, you should try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'm so looking forward to reading The Importance of Being Earnest. It's really great to hear you recommend it. Now it's on my reading list for sure!

      Delete
  4. Started to read Wilde because of your blog.
    So far my favourite is nightingale and rose.
    Thank you for sparking interest in his books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay! That's awesome that you've started to read Wilde, Bauer Akina. He's a great writer and we're thrilled that we helped spark your interest in his writing, even in a little way. :)

      Delete
  5. Oscar Wilde is one of my favorite! His cheeky wit makes this one so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitey! His wit is priceless and makes this a good read.

      Delete